Connecting...

W1siziisimnvbxbpbgvkx3rozw1lx2fzc2v0cy9ja2ctc2vhcmnol2pwzy9ibg9nlwjhbm5lci1kzwzhdwx0lmpwzyjdxq

Taxation Analysis 2014

Introduction

Appointments within Tax for the 2014 Financial Year were slightly up on last year, with 36 new Partners across the country in comparison to 28 in 2013. Of these new Partners, 78% were appointed as internal promotions.

PwC dominated the number of new Partners with 53% of the market, followed by Deloitte (22%), EY (14%) and KPMG (11%). Interestingly these trends were not replicated in the number of Partners acquired laterally. KPMG dominated in this area with 40% of their new Partners coming through lateral acquisition, followed by Deloitte (37%) and PwC with only 10%. All of EY’s new Partners were grown organically through internal promotion. Of the laterally hired Partners, the recent trend of Big 4 tax practices attracting top talent from Law firms continued with 19%, and the remaining 81% being attracted from rival Big 4 firms. 

Unsurprisingly Corporate & International Tax had the greatest number of new Partners, equal with Research and Development Tax (17%). This was followed by Financial Services Tax (11%) and then Transfer Pricing, Employment and Indirect Tax (all 8%).

Sydney was the dominant location for new Partners with 47%. This was followed by Melbourne (25%) and Brisbane (11%). Laterally acquired Partners followed this overall trend with all coming from the three Eastern states.

 

Corporate & International Tax

Of the 6 new Partners in this area, there was 1 lateral hire in Josh Cardell. Josh joined PwC in Sydney from Greenwood & Freehills. All of the new Partners in this area were from PwC.

Research & Development Tax

Of the six new Partners in this area, there was one lateral hire in Greg Pratt. Greg joined Deloitte in Brisbane from EY. There were three Partner promotions at Deloitte, two at PwC and one at KPMG.

Financial Services Tax

Of the four new Partners, two of these were lateral hires in James Pettigrew and Stephen Murphy. James joined Deloitte in Sydney and was previously with Greenwood & Freehills. Stephen joined KPMG in Sydney and was previously with Deloitte. The four Partner promotions were spread evenly across the Big 4, with all four Partners being based in Sydney.

Transfer Pricing

Of the three new Partners, there was one lateral hire in Jeremy Capes. Jeremy Capes joined KPMG in Sydney and was previously a Director at PwC. The other two Partner promotions were within PwC’s Melbourne and Perth practices.

Employment Tax

Of the three new Partners, all were through internal promotion. Two Partners were promoted within Deloitte’s Melbourne practice, and one Partner promotion was added to KPMG’s Sydney practice.

Indirect Tax

Of the three new Partners, all were through internal promotion. Two Partners were promoted within PwC’s Melbourne practice, and one Partner promotion was added to Deloitte’s Sydney practice.

Tax Controversy

Two new Partners were added to this area, both with PwC. Ashley King re-joined PwC in Melbourne after 3 years with Deloitte. PwC also promoted a further Partner in their Melbourne practice.

Expatriate Tax 

Two Partner promotions were made across PwC’s Adelaide and Melbourne practices.

Middle-Market Tax

Two Partner promotions were made across EY’s Adelaide and Brisbane practices.

Energy & Resources Tax

Two Partner promotions were made across Deloitte’s Brisbane practice, and EY’s Sydney Practice.

M&A Tax

There was one Partner promotion in EY’s Sydney office.

 

Tax in Law firms

Major lateral hires of Tax Partners within law firms included:

  • Ellen Thomas joined Baker & McKenzie’s Sydney practice. Ellen was previously a Senior Associate at King & Wood Mallesons.

  • Betsy Howe joined K&L Gates’ Sydney practice. Betsy was previously with Sparke Helmore.

  • Michael Perez joined King & Wood Mallesons’ Sydney Practice. Michael was previously with Allens.

  • Peter Poulos joined Gadens’ Melbourne practice. Peter was previously a Partner within KPMG’s M&A Tax practice.

  • Manuel Makkas joined Greenwood & Freehills’ Sydney practice. Manuel was previously a Partner within PwC’s Real Estate Tax practice.

  • Morris Maroon joined Rockwell Olivier’s Sydney practice. Morris was previously with Altus Financial.

  • Ron Jorgenson joined Rigby Cooke’s Melbourne practice. Ron was previously with Sladen Legal.

  • Marc Romaldi joined Kain C+C in Adelaide. Mark was previously with Kelly & Co.